During a recent video interview with German outlet pcgames.de and Shinji Mikami, new details were shared of upcoming Survival Horror Game, The Evil Within. Unfortunately, the interview was in German, but thanks to a member of The Evil Within forums, we now have a translation of the most important tidbits.
- The game will be called “Psycho Break” in Japan because it’s easier for them to pronounce it over “The Evil Within”
- Sebastian is a strong character and will be strong enough to deal with everything going on
- There’s practically no interface. Word labels for objects fade in and out when you get close to them.
- There are not many sound effects and not much music. – Shinji did say that in regards to sound, it will be used to signal events and information. He also said how there will be enemies that we won´t be able to see but we will be able to hear them (I think this is like when you hear the Tank in L4D but you don´t know where it is).
- There is not much color in this game
- One of the traps you can use is a Nail Bomb. The reporter said that you can set them behind doors and underneath windows.
- The game has a circular style menu for the inventory and weapons. You can also quick select items that have been assigned to the d-pad on the controller.
- The camera will focus in a little bit over the shoulder when you are aiming with your gun.
- The game is designed to be in cinematic widescreen and so, when you have the game set in normal 16:9 ratio, black bars will appear on the screen.
- Lighting in game a crucial element, lantern will go out during a “bad time”
- Sebastian will go into an altered state (crouch-like position) when there are enemies nearby
- There will be moments where characters have to work together in order to defeat enemies, but the player facing horrible things on their own is central.
- Shinji is not a fan of horror characters that scream, runaway and lose their minds, so none of them will be in the game.
Perhaps most importantly, in response to the question “Can you promise us that this game will make us pee our pants?” Shinji enthusiastically responded “Yes!”