Last week, word broke out that Moon Chronicles would be released on May 15. Exciting news for sure — we were big fans of the original DS game and have been salivating getting our hands on the 60FPS 3D remake. The details of the release, however, were a bit confusing. We couldn’t find two sources that had it listed exactly the same, leading us to speculate the exact details of the release. After reaching out to Renegade Kid co-founder Jools Watsham, it turns out most people got at least one portion of it wrong (including us).
So let’s break down the specifics of the release:
1. Moon Chronicles will begin its release on May 15 exclusively on 3DS. This release will be Episode 1 of the game, which contains 4 chapters and a secret bonus VR mision. This release will serve as the conduit for the remaining three episodes in Season 1.
2. The remaining three episodes of Season 1 will be released before the end of 2014, with the possibility of Episode 4 slipping into early 2015. Although the price was reported to be $1.99 per episode, that number has not been finalized. There will also be a season pass in the future, enabling players to purchase episodes 2, 3, and 4 for a single lower price if they do not wish to buy them à la carte.
3. Season 1 will have a total of four episodes that comprise the original DS game, remade for 3DS.
4. There will be at least two seasons.
5. Season 2 will be comprised of all-new content.
Hopefully that clears up any confusion about the release structure of the game so everybody knows what they’re getting into when the adventure begins this Thursday.
Be sure to check back later in the week for our review.