Switchblade Monkeys Entertainment obviously knows they have a good thing going with Secret Ponchos. This overhead western shooter designed for intelligent play has seen its share of highs and lows, but they kept cranking away, polishing off the rough edges, and put forth a polished gem on Steam. Their effort was well worth it, by the way.
Putting their money where their mouth is, the best version of this superb title is available to play for free this week. For those on the fence, this is a great time to give this one a shot. Should they be convinced, the title will be half of its price. In this day and age, this promotion itself is not unheard of. What is really cool about this promotion are the Kickstarter like items should the game see ever increasing numbers of concurrent players. The potential awards are as follows:
- 100 players: All players get a free download of the launch trailer’s original song, “Unforgiven Few” (by popular request)
- 500 players: New music will be added to expand the in-game soundtrack
- 1,000 players: Players can pick a free skin for any Outlaw
- 5,000 players: Players get to vote on which Outlaw will receive a new skin – and they all receive it for free
- 10,000 players: The community unlocks a completely new Outlaw and free barter coins – The Gunslinger, who has passed through many towns, collecting the badges of corrupt Sheriffs that she commands to stand down.
I love this idea and I hope it bears fruit. It’s nice to see a developer stand by their product while offering the community incentives to keep playing. If you want to get in on this, it can be downloaded here. The promotional trailer can be seen below.