Over the weekend more than 3,000 people attended the U.S. Pokémon National Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana. It was the largest recorded presence ever and included 2,100 competitors. The players were divided into categories by age. Juniors are born from 2002 or later, Seniors were born from 1998 to 2001, and Masters were born in 1997 or earlier. Each winner is listed below.
- Junior Division: Beau Berg, playing with Tyranitar, Garchomp, Zapdos, Cresselia, Hitmontop, and Scizor
- Senior Division: Paul Chua, playing with Politoed, Kingdra, Cresselia, Scrafty, Metagross, Thundurus
- Masters Division: Gavin Michaels, playing with Ludicolo, Amoonguss, Landorus, Metagross, Volcarona, and Tyranitar
- Junior Division: Carson St. Denis, running a team Plasma deck
- Senior Division: Calvin Connor, running a team Plasma deck
- Masters Division: Edmund Kuras running a “Deck and Cover” Gothitelle/Accelgor deck
It would have been fascinating to watch these dedicated Pokémon experts in action. Whatever strategies they implemented surely paid off. Each competitor as well as other finalists from each division are given a free trip to the 2013 Pokémon World Championships this August in Vancouver, Canada. Now, that is going to be wild.