Yoshi-P’s upcoming Producer’s Live Letter won’t hit until next week, but already we are seeing what FFXIV’s first major patch is bringing to the table; and wow does it look radical. Earlier today, Square Enix released a new action-packed 10-minute trailer detailing what players can expect from the forthcoming 2.1 update. To accompany the montage, the studio has also launched a new website strictly devoted to the patch aptly dubbed “A Realm Awoken,” which includes information on the upcoming content. For those not up to speed on their FFXIV news, A Realm Awoken will bring with it new bosses, quests and lore, along with the PvP arena component entitled The Wolf’s Den, a 24-man dungeon and of course the most anticipated feature, player housing.
Needless to say, this patch is massive. A Realm Awoken will drop on December 17, just in time for the kiddies’ holiday breaks. Be sure to scope the trailer below. But before you do that, take a glimpse at the full patch notes:
The Crystal Tower
- Reaching to the heavens, this massive monolith, long thought to be a legend from eras past, has been unearthed in the wake of the Calamity. What could be the purpose of this crystalline construct, and what forgotten relics now stir within its walls? Those who would unravel these mysteries must first win their way through the Labyrinth of the Ancients, the perilous maze that leads to the entrance of the tower proper. Tackle this new dungeon with up to 24 players and do battle with the dark forces that have awoken within.
The Wolves’ Den
- Named after a crew of Roegadyn Sea Wolves that first discovered this odd crucible-shaped island off the shores of Limsa Lominsa, this PvP Arena will soon open to all the Grand Companies of Eorzea, in the hope that the staged battles held here will raise the realm’s defences.
- The Lavender Beds (Gridania), the Goblet (Ul’dah) and Mist (Limsa Lominsa) are the three distinctive residential districts of each of the city-states. Enjoy creating a unique base of operations for your free company members to call home. Purchase a plot of land and then start your build, with customizable fixtures for the house, as well as interior and exterior decorations and furnishings.
- The Moogles are trying to resurrect their legendary leader, Good King Moggle Mog XII. Will the return of this mythical being pose a threat for the Warriors of Light?
Beast Tribe Quests
- Learn about the beast tribes of Eorzea in these daily quests.
- Search for buried treasure with up to four players to obtain rich spoils.
- A new quest has been added that will allow you to befriend an aesthetician of great talent. Completing it will allow you to change your hairstyle, face paint, and more.
Hildibrand, Agent of Enquiry
- Nashu Mhakarraca, Hildibrand’s faithful assistant will need to muster up all her powers of deduction to unravel the many mysteries that beleaguer Eorzea. Unusual zombie activity in Ul’dah, you say? This smells like a case!
- This abandoned lighthouse, strikingly pierced by corrupted crystals, has been made the domain of the siren of Umbra. Adventurers must venture within and defeat the seductress and her legion of undead minions if this beacon of civilization is to shine once more.
Haukke Manor (Hard)
Copperbell Mines (Hard)
- New dangers and formidable foes await those who would dare revisit and test themselves against the new hard mode for each of these dungeons.
- The Duty Roulette allows players to enter instanced dungeons, trials and guildhests at random. There are four roulette categories, each of which can be selected once per day and adventurers can reap some great bonus rewards.
The Howling Eye (Extreme)
The Navel (Extreme)
The Bowl of Embers (Extreme)
- New extreme battles against three primals: Garuda, Titan and Ifrit.
The Minstrel’s Ballad: Ultima’s Bane
- Test yourself against the Ultima Weapon once more in this new hard-mode boss battle.
Main Scenario Quests
- Where there is light, there is always shadow. The beast tribes persist in their efforts to summon the primals. The once defeated Garlean forces resurface, harbouring renewed ambitions of conquest. And the baleful Ascians lurk in the shadows, their presence rousing dark forces long since forgotten.