Final Fantasy XI was the first time Square Enix attempted to take their flagship franchise into the MMO space. It launched in North America in 2004 on PlayStation 2 and quickly gained a loving following. Even though Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn is out now, Square Enix still continues to support their original online game.
2014 marks the 12th anniversary of Final Fantasy XI and there are still many new features being introduced for the playerbase. Here are some of the latest updates that Square Enix outlined:
- New Seekers of Adoulin missions to continue the ever-evolving storyline along with new areas to explore
- The debut of the “Mog Wardrobe” – a new equipment storage feature that allows even greater storage for the adventurer on the go
- The introduction of “Ergon Weapons” for the rune fencer and geomancer jobs
- The release of two new high-tier mission battlefields that allow players to challenge previous conquests at a higher difficulty for new spoils
- The addition of Maat and Gessho to the ever-growing list of alter egos that will fight by your side
Final Fantasy XI is available on PC and Xbox 360 and still has a subscription fee. If this trend continues, we’ll be celebrating its 15th anniversary soon enough.