In collaboration with Telltale Games, Mojang has announced Minecraft: Story Mode. Much like other Telltale adventures, the game will be released episodically, with the first one coming out sometime in 2015.
The narrative won’t seek to explore the blocky main character Steve’s backstory, and just aims to be a “cool game.”
A blog post on Mojang listed some facts about the game:
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.
Minecraft: Story Mode will be released for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.