When naming the most feverishly dedicated fan bases that a game can have, Studio Wildcard’s Ark: Survival Evolved nears the top of the list. The idea of taking a rote survival game, force feeding it creatine and less wholesome substances, jamming it full of freaking dinosaurs, and letting it loose on the gaming populace was a gamble. It paid off. Kudos to the developer for showing others how to do one of these games right.
Anyhow, the folks on Xbox One have a treat in store next time they log in: the Titanosaur is now roaming the land, waiting for any tribe foolish enough to attempt to tame it. Those that do not find themselves fertilizing the plant life with their freshly jellied corpses will earn a boon. Tribes can basically use the thing to build a giant, roaming city to display their might to others who were not as brave, or stupid, to try.
There are loads of other nifty things in this new update, dubbed v243. According to the studio, these include:
- New Item: The Chain Bola ammo for ballista turret! Bring huge creatures to their knees, temporarily, by entangling them in these gigantic metal bolas.
- New Item: Gas Mask! Avoid diseases and poisonous gas with this protective breathing apparatus.
- New Item: Herbivore “TastyCakes”
- New Structure: Retractable Rope Ladders! Extend or retract these flimsy ladders, good for letting allies onto your ramparts while keeping the enemy out.
- New Structure: Tree Sap Taps! Slowly extract valuable syrup from the great redwoods for use in a variety of new recipes.
- New Mechanic: Custom Tripwire Alarm Notifications via SurviveTheArk.com (E-mail and Forum). Optionally Tribes can post to arbitrary URL, if they have a custom system! Now if someone’s raiding your base, you can get on top of it!
- GroundClutter effect extended 50% further and +20% more GPU efficiency
- Balled Doed’s are no longer invincible to Tamed Dino melee attacks — now just very, very resistant to them.
- Magnifying Glass now displays creature Torpor stats (on Wild creatures too).
- Tribe Alliances now disabled in Offline Raid mode (too complex to determine if anyone in an Alliance is around), C4/Traps can no longer be placed near Offline-Raid Protected Structures, and Offline-Raid mode now forces all Structures to be Lockable so that players can “Lock” Crop Plots to prevent their turrets from being disabled.
- New Server option to prevent tribe alliances
- Engagement with Wild Naturally-Fleeing & Small creatures (tiny bugs etc) no longer trigger combat music
- Tamed Dinos that are following a submerged allied Target will not attempt to float to the surface of the water, but rather will attempt to stay at the depth of their allied Target. (helpful when deliberately going deep-diving your tamed land Dinos). However, Dinos that are capable of suffocating will try to surface if they are out of Oxygen regardless!
- Vaults can no longer be dropped onto saddle platforms.
- Transfer-All/Drop-All methods now only drop/transfer what is currently disabled in the inventory, respecting any filters/folders you may have active (so for example, if you’re within a folder, it will only transfer those items, or if you have a text filter active, etc).
- Fixed an issue where pillars were not being calculated correctly as foundations when building pillars downwards
- Dedicated Server Save-Backups
- Memory saving & cpu performance increase approximately 5%
In celebration of this free expansion, the game is on sale via the Xbox Marketplace. Gold members can score a copy for 25% off, while Silver members will still see a respectable 15% price deduction.