Back in 1993, Lucas Arts and Totally Games developed and released a PC game called Star Wars: X-Wing. X-Wing was meant to be a Star Wars-themed virtual flight simulator game featuring the titular and iconic X-Wing space fighters. Modder Azrapse and team are working on a modified version of Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition utilizing the Unity Game Engine, called XWVM. First and foremost, anyone hoping to play this XWVM mod will need to already own a version of Star Wars: X-Wing (available on Steam). Here is a list of supported versions for reference:
- Star Wars: X-Wing (DOS floppy disk) 1993.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Collectors’ CD-ROM (DOS CD) 1994.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series (Windows 95 CD) 1998.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition (GOG digital download, DOS floppy, DOS CD, or Windows CD).
- Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition (Steam digital download, DOS floppy, DOS CD, or Windows CD).
XWVM features updated graphics and includes improvements targeted at taking advantage of modern hardware. That said, no new game content will be added and even the audio files will come directly from the base installation of Star Wars: X-Wing. The XWVM team plan to release the mod little by little, their objective being to revive this old favorite. See a quick video of the mod in action below.
Those interested can follow the modding progress can do so at the team’s ModDB page.