Following the events in the previous expansion, Storm King’s Thunder, four mages have decided that the villains of the Neverwinter world are rank amateurs. To show how it’s done, they have decided to use their power, derived from the Far Realm, to wrest control of Lord Neverember’s throne for themselves. It will be up to the players of Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment’s free to play MMO, Neverwinter, to set things right and stop them.
Keeping with their arduous quarterly schedule, the developer has just released The Cloaked Ascendancy to PC players. It’s another big one at that. Frankly, it’s easier to just list all the additions direct from the source:
- New Adventure Zone: Following its recent reclamation, The River District is quickly annexed by the Cloaked Ascendancy and serves as the setting for much of this new expansion.
- New Campaign: Drive the Cloaked Ascendancy from the River District to return it to its former glory and restore Neverwinter.
- Spellplague Caverns Dungeon: The culmination of The Cloaked Ascendancy, adventurers will experience the returning dungeon in an all-new epic version, as well as a levelling version.
- New Skirmish: “The Illusionist’s Gambit” presents an all-new highly dynamic challenge to adventurers where each attempt at the skirmish can be completely different than the last.
- New Artifact Weapons: Themed after the many locales players will explore in The Cloaked Ascendancy, these new weapons allow adventurers to harness the power of the Far Realm.
This really is the nice thing about the game: the additions keep coming, giving fans ample reason to stay invested in the world. The new content remains free at that, allowing people to pay for some quality of life advantages while allowing anyone to have a good time and hold their own in the world without spending a dime. The only bad news is that, as always, this expansion is exclusive to the PC version for a limited time, with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 set to see the expansion later this year. Check out the trailer below.