Although it hasn’t even been six months since it launched, NCSOFT today announced that they will be shutting down Master X Master on January 31. Beginning today, real money purchases on the MXM Store will be disabled and all players will be able to unlock all the game’s content for free until the servers close.
In a statement posted on MXM’s website, NCSOFT stated that they explored several options but none were sustainable to keep the game going, admitting that they failed to connect with players.
To help ease the pain, the company will be rolling out a number of perks and the game will be completely free to play:
- All players will receive 500,000 X-Coin to unlock all content
- The community-developed Lua skin will be made available to all players for 1 X-Coin
- Real money purchases on the MXM Store will be permanently disabled
- All game modes will be turned on, and available at all times
- Refunds in full on purchases made between Aug. 30 and Nov. 16. This will happen automatically within the next 7-14 days, and will be refunded via the same method the purchase was made, if possible.
It’s a real shame as we were quite fond of the game, scoring it very positively in our review.