Cryptic Studio’s long running MMORPG, Star Trek Online, has just received its latest major expansion with Victory is Life. Centered around Deep Space Nine, players will be able to explore the titular space station and interact with characters from the original show, including Quark (Armin Shimerman), Odo (René Auberjonois), Kira Nerys (Nana Visitor), Doctor Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig), Rom (Max Grodénchik), Elim Garak (Andrew Robinson) and Captain Nog (Aron Eisenberg). This is done both in celebration of the show’s 25th anniversary, and because it’s pretty danged cool. This fresh expansion also adds:
- Playable Jem’Hadar Faction– For the first time in Star Trek Onlinehistory, players can become a Jem’Hadar – genetically engineered soldiers of the Dominion. This brand-new playable faction will start at level 60 with a variety of completed Reputations, Specialization Trees and R&D progress.
- Level Cap Increase–Star Trek Online’s level cap has been increased to 65, for captains of all factions.
- Gamma Quadrant Sector Space Battlezone– This all-new Battlezone allows players to explore the depths of the Gamma Quadrant, where they will complete missions and receive notifications about incoming Hur’q attacks. A new quadrant map will show Captains where they can rendezvous to fight off the enemy and earn rewards for participating, including experience, expertise, Gamma marks and dilithium.
- Deep Space Nine Revamp– Fans of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine will be thrilled to learn that they can explore the original DS9 space station, as it appears in the original television series. TheStar Trek Onlineteam has spent months pouring over the show’s set schematics to recreate the starbase’s interior in the game.
- Swarm Queue– Players can participate in a new five-player, co-op space queue that tasks Captains with defending Dominion refugees from a ravenous Hur’q swarm.
- Gamma Task Force Reputation– This new addition to the Reputation System represents a coalition of forces formed to battle enemies hailing from the Gamma Quadrant. It will feature all new traits, kits modules, space/ground equipment sets, ground armor and space visuals.
With seven new episodes to explore and a metric crap ton of battles to win, this free to play MMO continues to be an enormous time sink in all of the best ways. As always, while this is only launching on the PC for now, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 fans will get their chance at this content in a few months or so.